How to reduce spiciness in the cooked food?
Often we mess up with the amount of spiciness or salt while we cook. And then quickly we browse for immediate remedies & try them to on our food. I know there will be lots of people like us out there. So here are the handy remedies for you
Before adding anything, you should be careful in choosing the ingredient as it might change the original taste of the recipe. Choose according to the nature of your recipe.
- Try to pick out the spicy ingredient if possible. Some recipes have whole or chopped chilies as ingredients. Pick them out manually.
- Add sugar, honey or any sweetening agents. This works best for Thai, Chinese & some Asian recipes. But this might sometimes change the original taste of other recipes. So add accordingly.
- Dilute the recipe by adding any dairy products like milk, yogurt, cream or cheese will help reducing the spiciness of the food. Coconut milk will also work for some recipes.
- Cut peeled potato into big slices, add it to the dish and leave it for hours. Potato acts as a sponge & absorbs the spices in the food. Later you can remove the potato slices while serving.
Try to add new ingredients to the dishes that will fit the profile of the recipe:
- Grains, vegetables, and meats can bulk up the flavor profile of many meals while simultaneously reducing their spiciness. But it depends on what type of curry are you making. So choose appropriate ingredient.
- Add little fresh lemon juice or vinegar. Its acidic nature will neutralize the spiciness.
- Adding corn starch dissolved in water, vegetable broth or meat broth will also help.
If you happen to know it’s spiciness only when you start to eat, then you can supplement by serving plain white rice, bread, baked potatoes, banana, glass of milk or yogurt by side.
The same above tips would work for saltiness too. Happy cooking!!