We wanted to surprise one of our friends on their wedding anniversary. So we planned to bake a chocolate cake for them. We invited them to our home, saying that we would prepare special chicken biryani for dinner. Being a weekday, we had to make both biryani & cake after coming back from office. So we had about 3 hours time. Being inexperienced in cooking & its time management, We enthusiastically started our preparation. Here is the recipe we used.
We had to cook the biriyani and bake the cake simultaneously! But everything went thru fine and we were able to get it all done before our friends came home.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour two 8-by-1 1/2-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms with wax paper. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat and stir until the sugar dissolves; then pour into a large bowl. Add the chocolate and butter and let sit, stirring occasionally, until melted and slightly cooled. Stir in the vanilla.
- Beat the eggs into the chocolate mixture at medium speed until combined. Add the dry ingredients all at once and beat at medium speed until smooth. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the top springs back when pressed lightly and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool the cakes in their pans for about 25 minutes, then invert onto a rack to cool completely.
- Set one cake, right-side up, on a serving platter. Using a metal spatula, spread one-third of the Chocolate Frosting evenly over the cake. Top with the second cake and frost the top and sides with the remaining frosting.
- Actually we made it as two separate cakes and not layered as mentioned in the recipe. Then decorated it with the available chocolates & cherries at home. I tried to write their names with icing, but messed it up though. :P. Our friends arrived later that evening and we celebrated by bringing out the cake at the unexpected time! Luckily the cake came out really delicious and they loved it!
Yaayyy first time cake baking turned out awesome…!