Couple of weeks ago, I built a Work desk and a wall mounted Stationery organizer for Naveen to have a comfortable workspace without any clutters on his table. As a latest addon, he asked for a headphone hanger to mount under his table rather than just laying it over the table. So, I made this hanger with scrap 2×4 wood.
- 2×4 wood
- Double sided tape
- Paint of your choice
- Clear Polyurethene
DISCLOSURE: We only recommend products we would use ourselves and all opinions are our own. This post may contain some affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, we earn few pennies at no additional cost to you. It helps us to keep “the nomad studio” alive. Thanks for support!
DIY Headphone Hanger Under Desk
First, I grabbed a 2×4 piece and drew whatever shape first came to my mind (din’t really follow any measurements). The finished hanger was 6″ in total length. Since, the design had some angles and little curve, I intentionally made the hanger little thick so that I can maneuver better while cutting with my jigsaw.
You can use any circular object or a bottle lid to trace the curve. I used a circular wood piece.
To make the cut, I started from right and did one by one as in below images.
As you can see, I ruined the first curve cut. My initial thought was I would get a better curve if I turn the Jigsaw slowly along the lines, but it did not turn out as expected. Oh well, it was my first time trying a small curve like this with jigsaw. Anyway, I was determined to at least cut the next curve correctly. So, I drilled a hole with 1/2″ spade bit first and then ran the jigsaw. Finally, made the cut in the right way.
Next comes the sanding. I started with 60 and then 100. I even filled some areas with wood filler to level the cuts. Finally used 220 grit. For the curve, I folded the sand paper and used my fingers to sand and smooth.
Then added clear PU coat. Once dry, taped and painted one half with white to match the table.
First, I used velcro to mount the hanger. So that we can remove when it is not required or even change the direction of the hanger according to our need. Though it was a heavy duty velcro, it did not work very well as I thought. So, I finally used 3M double sided tape to fix the mount under table. This worked perfectly.